Back at the end of last year we decided that this would be the year to finally go on a tropical vacation so we booked the week of February vacation at a boutique hotel in St. Lucia. I had been picking away at my SWAP but put it aside to plan and implement the elusive Vacation Wardrobe. My casual clothes consist mostly of well-worn exercise gear and free oversized Tee shirts with nary a complimentary or coordinating color in the lot.
I spent days obsessing over a small wardrobe based on both new and existing pieces. The fabric was bought online from lesss expensive sites like Fabric.com and Fabric Mart. I sketched out the wardrobe and mixed and matched them like paper dolls. I also used this opportunity to try some Indie patterns.
I worked on it through my December holiday, through January, and into February sewing up to the last minute. Our flight was cancelled due to a snow storm but we were able to reschedule for two days later. Then that flight was delayed due to to a storm in DC causing us to miss our connecting flight. We rescheduled AGAIN, this time for April. I REALLY REALLY needed to get away in February but April will do. I was able to make one more pair of shorts with the extra time.
- Bright blue denim jacket made last year. Not needed on the island but worked great for travel. (Jalie denim jacket heavily modified for shape and fit. )
- Orange linen pleated skirt made a year or two ago. I eliminated this one in the end since I was limited to carry-on luggage only.
- Striped orange shorts made last year. They didn’t make the cut either.
- NEW green/white striped dress made for the vacation under time pressure and therefore not so much fun. I went way out of my comfort zone here and did not make a muslin. Instead I used my bodice sloper as the basis for the draft. (Franken-pattern)
- Plaid linen ‘big shirt’, a Salvation Army find, for use as a beach cover up.
- Teal slinky dress made last winter. Not convinced I like the feel of the slinky on my skin.
- NEW pale aqua loose scoop neck tee in organic cotton.
- Stretch cotton chinos made a couple of years ago. Used for travel. (Burdastyle)
- NEW crisp white cotton tank; my first Sorbetto.
- NEW cotton/Lycra knit Grainline Studo Day-to-Night top in pale melon. My first cowl neck.
- NEW pale aqua and melon striped bambo knit long-sleeved Jalie cardi and matching vee neck tank.
- Stretch cotton khaki shorts wih pleated pockets made a few years ago. (New Look)
- NEW shorts in a brown wool/silk blend. (BurdaStyle with a twist.)
- NEW casual turquoise elastic waist mini-skirt in cotton terry; self-drafted.
- NEW orange pleated shorts in some sort of athletic knit. (Sewing Workshop)
- Last, a refahioned Izod shirt. I removed the puffy ’80’s sleaves, Now looks like a babydoll top. Will ditch or rework.
My favorite part of this wardrobe are the colors which are mostly tan/brown, white, orange/melon, and turquiose/aqua. This means I can mix and match almost everything. There are three items that I didn’t get to but, hey, being able to say that I made almost all of my vacation wardrobe makes me feel pretty proud of myself.
I promise I’ll post about a few of the key pieces soon.