When I was searching for patterns for my vacation ensemble I decided it was a great opportunity to try a few Indie patterns. Many of the Indie patterns I see are dresses, which I don’t wear very often, and knit tops. I’m a jacket and pants kinda gal so most of them don’t appeal to me although I always need something to wear under the jackets. I thought I should at least try one or two Indie’s to see what all the fuss is about. I don’t think twice about downloading PDF’s and I pay little attention to instructions so my focus is on the details and the cut.
I had a white scoop neck woven top listed in my SWAP queue and thought the Sorbetto might fit the bill.
I had originally envisioned a “chemise” style in a loose weave to wear under jackets so I ordered a cotton/Lycra blend that turned out to be too stiff for a chemise style. Duh! In my pre-vacation delirium to make all things SUMMER I then decided that it would make a great Sorbetto. Not!
I surged the side seams and used bias binding on the inside of the neck and armholes. Instead of a straight stitch I used a wing needle and a decorative stitch to stitch the binding down. This technique looks lovely on a linen but is quite muddy here.
The pattern has no darts in back so there were gobs of fabric at the back waist all puffed out. I tried to tame it with some pleats but they look a bit snug in the photos.
I’m giving this project a FAIL mostly due to the wrong fabric but also because I should just stick to my style of more fitted garments. I also want to change the shape of the neckline to something more square and perhaps add a center back seam that I can tweak. You live and you learn.
Next up was Maria Denmark’s Day-to-Night Drape top. I had never tried a draped neckline but was smitten by Sew Busy Lizzy‘s awesome version. It’s a very simple pattern that gets its “cool” from the drape of the fabric. I had purchased a very thin sorbet colored cotton knit which feels luscious but really needs to be a bit heavier for this pattern. I tried it with a weight at the neckline but found it dragged it down a bit too much for me. This is more on the “night” end of the scale rather than “day”. I could see it in a more liquid-like material, a metallic, or sequins. There is also a lot of fabric pooled down the front below the bust which I suspect is inherent for a cowl neckline. Hmm…maybe I’ll try to marry this neckline to my sloper and have a two piece front. I’ll give this one a passing grade.
- Simple is not necessarily better. I need more fitted styles. This is not the same as tighter.
- Start relying on my sloper more.
- Pay more attention to the drape of the fabric. Both of these projects could have been better with different fabric.
- Check sloper to make sure their are no drag lines at the bust.